Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Too Faced Natural Eye Neutral Eye Shadow Collection

Aloha! Today I will be reviewing Too Faced's Nautral Eye Neutral Eye Shadow Collection, a selection of 9 neutral shades with a variety of finishes: Matte, Glitter, Satin/Metalllic.

The Too Faced Natural Eye Neutral Eye Shadow Collection.

The 9 shadows are placed into three categories. Day, a matte collection, contains Heaven, Velvet Revolver and Sexpresso. Classic, a satin/glitter collection, contains Silk Teddy, Push-Up, and Erotica. Fashion, a glitter/metallic collection, contains Nude Beach, Honey Pot and Cocoa Puff.

Heaven - This is one of my favourite colours in this palette. This is a highly pigmented, creamy coloured matte shadow that is great to use underneath your brow bone as a matte highlight or all over the upper lid. I honestly think I use this colour every single day (Check out that giant hole in the shadow. Can't believe I haven't hit pan on this one yet.
Velvet Revolver - A matte taupe-coloured shadow. I LOVE this colour but because of my skin tone (As you'll see in my swatches below), it barely shows up on my skin! It's great to use all over the lower lid, but the only way it shows up on me is if I use it in the crease with another lighter neutral shade on my lid (Strange, right? It barely shows up on my lower lid).
Sexpresso - A matte, coffee coloured shadow. VERY pigmented - I love to use this to line my eyes, fill in my brows, but it requires a little bit of coercing when used in the crease. This is the only shadow in this collection that I have a fall-out issue with, I always find that after I use it, I'm brushing dark brown flecks of shadow off of my face. Its texture is a little bit chalky, and after wearing it in my crease for an entire day the colour does get a little muddy looking.
Silk Teddy - A peach tinted shadow with a satin/metallic finish. This shadow has awesome colour payoff, its texture kind of reminds me of some UD shadows. I don't really use it much as an everyday shadow, I usually use it on special occasions to use in the inside corner of my eye as well as the lower inside half underneath my eye as a liner. It's too metallic as a highlight shade under the brow bone IMO, but I do like to use it on the upper lid. Because of its awesome colour payoff and texture, you really don't need to use a lot of it.
Push-Up - Another one of my favourites in this collection. This medium brown, satin eye shadow would pair nicely with any of the other shadows on this palette. As you can see I've done some damage on this shade as well haha.
Erotica - A Dark brown shadow that looks like its super glittery, but it isn't. It has small sliver glitter in a dark, cool brown matte base. As for colour it's not my favourite, I feel like there are a lot of other dark brown, glittery shadows that have better colour payoff and are more flattering. It's just meh.
Nude Beach - HUGE peachy coloured glitter in a similarly coloured, slightly satin-finished base. I never use this shadow because the glitter is nearly impossible to pick up without a sponge applicator and falls off your lids within a few hours. It's nice to look at but impossible to wear. I haven't tried wearing this with an eye shadow primer, but if any of you have, let me know! Maybe I'll give this shadow a second chance... Who knows.
Honey Pot - This is your 24-K Gold eye shadow. Honey Pot has a great metallic finish and a silky texture similar to Silk Teddy. I'm starting to like it more and more everyday, now that I'm switching between some of these shadows for daily wear.
Cocoa Puff - I would consider this the warm counterpart to Erotica. Warm, dark brown, matte base with very fine gold glitter in it that barely shows up on the lid. The matte base is very pigmented, but I with the glitter in the shadow was more pronounced. Like Erotica, to me it's only okay.



L-R: Heaven, Velvet Revolver, Sexpresso, Silk Teddy, Push-Up, Erotica, Nude Beach, Honey Pot, Cocoa Puff.
These swatches are in two kinds of lighting (natural on top, artificial on the bottom) with one swipe of shadow, so you can get an idea of the tones and colour pay off of each shade.


This is my current go-to natural eye shadow look, sans mascara. Heaven on the upperlid/under brow, Honey Pot on the lower lid, Velvet Revolver on the crease. Sexpresso used to line the eyes and fill in eye brows. 

The Verdict? It's not a bad palette! The shadows are extremely versatile and would flatter any skin tone. I only have pressing issues with Sexpresso (chalky texture) Nude Beach (which requires you to pack on tons of shadow to get decent glitter payoff) and Erotica (just a 'meh' kind of shadow). The others have a wonderful silky texture that is highly pigmented and easily blended that doesn't fallout all over your face. This is currently one of the few palettes that I have in my daily makeup bag.

If you're looking for a great neutral palette but you don't want to hop on the UD Naked bandwagon, check this out. This palette is priced reasonably ($50CAD at Sephora) and will last you a very long time. For those of you that are new to the makeup world, this palette, as well as several other Too Faced collections, contains tutorial cards that you can use to create different looks with these shadows, making it a great staple shadow collection for newbies, seasoned pros, and anyone in between.

Have you tried this palette? Any of the same issues I've had? Do you own any dupes for these colours? Let me know!

xox,
ysobel

No comments:

Post a Comment